Friday, May 23, 2008

KFC is strange.

I have started work at KFC. Well, training. The potato-gravy station and the drive through headsets and the tills and menu and burger formulae, and most daunting of all, the chicken frying place in the back, it gives me a sense of confusion, uncertainty, juvenile helplessness and the tiny smidgen of hope that maybe one day backstage will be not so daunting.
Some little grievances. Or Trivialities:
  • Why do the staff at KFC call potatoes and gravy 'prep'?
  • Why are the names of all the burgers and combos so flipping frivolous? Can't you just call it burger A, B or C? it'd make remembering wrapper colours easier. Rainbow order with alphabet order. There, no stupid 'Zinger burger' or 'Works' or 'Oh dammit the wrapper's round the wrong way, now it says Zinger instead of Original'.
  • Why is there so much strange innuendo amongst conversation backstage? Like, the things they talk about, just from 5 hours paperwork in the office area (a nice messy corner by the door of backstage), 3 of which were not actually backstage, I heard quite a bit of stuff one would not expect to hear in everyday convo. Maybe it's just me, but if I'm a newbie in society, well doesn't mean I can adapt (and I don't want) to dodgy talk every 2 minutes I work.
  • Why on earth, I mean this seriously, like, the most serious of my grievances, why on flipping earth do we have to invite a customer back TWICE after they get their food? It's not as if they didn't hear you the first time. And it makes you sound dorkomanic. And it's awkward. Can you imagine it though? 'Enjoy your meal. Hope to see you next time! See you another time!' And it sounds just as bad using different forms of it: 'Hope you come back! See you next time!' It's time consuming, a big fat mouthful, and they mean the same flipping thing.

No comments: